My favourite firefox extensions – aka: The Best FireFox Extensions

If you are still using IE – Internet Explorer at this point, I pity you. Do yourself a favour and change to the vastly supreme browser: FireFox. I’ll admit it takes some getting used to, but once you tried it, you’ll never look back. Why? Because FireFox allows you as the user to install different add-ons, all of which improves on the already great browser.

In the following I’ll go through the extensions I can’t live without. These little beauties will improve your everyday browsing immensely.

In alphabetical order I proudly present the first of the seven:


Number 1

Adblock Plus

Do you find yourself bogged down with annoying “CLICK-ME”, “YOUR THE 1.000.000.000 VISITOR-ads” whenever you browse the web? Then install Adblock Plus and get rid of them. Working via predetermined filters, and custom made ones by users. This little gem, will remove them, via a right-click of the mouse.


Number 2

All-In-One-Gestures

I never thought I’d needed something like the All-In-One-Gestures, but this is a piece of brilliance. Imagine using your mouse as a means of navigating the web – I know, that’s what you’re already doing, but how about navigating it in a much smarter and faster way? Ta-daaaah! Introducing All-In-One-Gestures the add-on that lets you as the user, draw commands on the screen via right-clicking the mouse. I know the prospect is pretty intimidating, but stay with me. I’ll break it down for you with some everyday-use:

Going back in page-history

1. Right click

2. Drag mouse left

3. You’re at the previous page!

Going forward in page-history

1. Right click

2. Drag your mouse right

3. You’re back where you started!

Closing your browser:

1. Right click (a pattern is emerging)

2. Drag the mouse in an L-shape

3. Voila! FireFox is closed.


It’s pretty much a jack of all trades, and it can do so much more, than the things described here. Here’s a screenshot of the customization-tab, and as you can see it’s just a third of the options showing.

Try it, and I’ll guarantee you’ll never know how you lived without it. It’s my personal favourite add-on of the bunch.


Number 3

Bug-Me-Not

Have you ever found yourself following a link that ended with a login page, so you were unable to view the content? For example when you want to read an article in an online newspaper, perhaps The New York Times, its frustrating having to enter a lot of information trying to obtain a login, just for the sake of one article. Here’s where Bug-Me-Not has its merit. Users all over the world create open logins, that you are able to use, saving you a huge amount of time. Just right-click and Bug-Me-Not will automatically find a working login and password.



Number 4

Converter

I live in a country that many years ago converted to the metric system (the right system) but for every country that’s embraced this “modern invention” I still, on a daily basis, come across sites with feets and foots and inches and miles and piles of other measurements I can’t comprehend. Does this sound familiar? Well it does if you live in Europe, but someone out there has made a solution - Converter. Just highlight the measurement and you’ll see your choice of conversion. Feet instantly become meters, miles kilometres and so on, it even works the other way around meters to miles – but who in the world would want that? Here’s an example of inches to centimetre-conversion done with Converter.


Number 5

Foxmarks

Do you work on several computers, one at work, another one at home, and a third on the go i.e. a laptop? If yes, you undoubtedly have several bookmarked webpage’s spread across all of the PC’s. Wouldn’t it be nice if all of your bookmarks were always at hand, and they were the same across all of your platforms? Enough of the questions, here’s the answer: Foxmarks. Upload your bookmarks to their server; install the add-on on another computer and it will automatically synchronize your bookmarks across your different computers. It’s also great in case of a system failure and you lose all of your data. Well, at least you haven’t lost that Dutch knitting site you bookmarked yesterday. Just re-install Foxmarks and download your saved bookmarks again. Great, now get on with the knitting...


Number 6

Search With

A great thing about FireFox is the ability to add custom search engines in the search bar and using these engines without typing in the search bar, by right-clicking a word and using the selected engine to search for it.

But this has it shortcomings, what if I stumble across the title of the best movie ever and want to read up on my trivia knowledge in IMDB and my IMDB-search-plug-in isn’t selected but instead Google is? Then I have to go to the search bar, change from Google to IMDB and then re-highlight the title and search. This is tiresome so Search With deals with this problem, by giving you an embedded context menu, when you right-click with all the options you could possibly desire or need. If that’s not enough you have the ability to customize the search options and probably more - I haven’t really bothered finding out, ‘cause the add-on just works as it is for me.


Number 7

View My Currency

Ahhhh! Savour the flavour of this last add-on. On-the-fly money conversion, Uhmmmm that sounds appetizing...

Well enjoy this last feast- and one of the most useful add-ons you’ll find. This baby will automatically update eight of the most used currencies and convert them to your selected currency of choice in your browser.

I live in Denmark, so my home currency is DKK – Danish Krone shortened “kr.”, and having selected that as my source View My Currency converts all the prices I find from various sites across the web. Here’s an example from amazon.com and the same item from amazon.uk – notice the converted price. (Note to self – buy from amazon.com, cheapest)

This little bugger is amazing and I use it every day, it’s a must-have!

That’s all. I hope you’ll find my recommendations useful and perhaps I’ve intrigued you enough to try and download the only browser worth using. Enjoy!

No comments: